Copyright??

Information and updates etc concerning its-all-about-flyers.com
Tattooed

Copyright??

Post by Tattooed » 07 Jun 2013, 19:43

Just a quick question really. Was wondering if the ols school flyers were copyrighted or are they free to use as we choose?? Cheers for the help.

Wigs
Site Admin

Re: Copyright??

Post by Wigs » 07 Jun 2013, 20:36

Tattooed wrote:Just a quick question really. Was wondering if the ols school flyers were copyrighted or are they free to use as we choose?? Cheers for the help.
It a good question and depends I guess on which image you were thinking of using, as many rave flyers took there images from other artitsts etc.

An interesting discussion to read is the following link a few years back in the raveflyers.co.uk message board. This topic was posted at the time as there had been a number of suspected reprints of flyers being sold as the genuine article, but the issue to copyright is mentioned a number of times.

http://www.raveflyers.co.uk/wwwboard/messages/6506.html

Nibbler

Post by Nibbler » 07 Jun 2013, 20:48

I don't really get that guys point in that link? He's talking as if he thinks people collect flyers because they think they'll be able to sell them on in the future as original works of art or something! If demand outstrips supply of anything, then the value of that thing will increase, regardless of what it is. Does he think ebay will stop listing flyers as they feature art that's not correctly copyrighted! :))

Wigs
Site Admin

Post by Wigs » 08 Jun 2013, 14:56

Nibbler wrote:I don't really get that guys point in that link? He's talking as if he thinks people collect flyers because they think they'll be able to sell them on in the future as original works of art or something! If demand outstrips supply of anything, then the value of that thing will increase, regardless of what it is. Does he think ebay will stop listing flyers as they feature art that's not correctly copyrighted! :))
I think there may have been an alteria motive behind the orignal post on the raveflyers.co.uk thread, as i think it may have been the seller of the reprints :-?

phatmedia

Post by phatmedia » 09 Jun 2013, 11:54

Tattooed wrote:Just a quick question really. Was wondering if the old school flyers were copyrighted or are they free to use as we choose?? Cheers for the help.
As Wigs mentions, a great many flyers have ripped off or appropriated other artists work or taken from stock library's which I doubt permission was ever granted for. So many are taken from 60s 70s art work from prog and psy rock album covers, science journals and fiction novels. Artists such as Boris Vallejo, Tim White , MC Eshcer, S Dali and Hajime Sorayama are but a few of many artists whose images have been completely copied onto flyers.

People like Pez, Kaos, Junior Tomlin, Popz to name a few original flyer designers who would generally sign their work and are still prevalent today would probably not want their artwork being used commercially, but for home use then who's to tell.

Wigs
Site Admin

Post by Wigs » 09 Jun 2013, 13:02

phatmedia wrote: People like Pez, Kaos, Junior Tomlin, Popz to name a few original flyer designers who would generally sign their work and are still prevalent today would probably not want their artwork being used commercially, but for home use then who's to tell.
Actually just before this site opened a few years back I contacted Pez to see if he minded me using the beyond therapy design in the banner of the site. I thought it was the right thing to do and would not have wanted him to stumble across it and be pissed off. Anyway, he replied that it was fine to use, but not sure if it was being used for commercial gain he would be so understanding. ;)

phatmedia

Post by phatmedia » 09 Jun 2013, 15:17

Back in about 2005 I managed to get a number for Pez (Steven Perry) from a guy at Raindance. It was for an interview for the doc we were doing. I called him up out the blue at his a pub restaurant I think he owned in the country somewhere. He was pleasant enough but didn't want anything to do with it and said he had distanced himself from the scene. Very different now as he is quite contactable especially though his website. Ive spoken to him a few times about his artwork and sales.

Return to “Announcements, Updates, Problems, Questions & Suggestions”